Tuesday 21 June 2016

A New Challenge

So exams have finished, signalling the end of my first year at university, my dodgeball career is up and running, the cricket season is in full flow and I've got plenty to look forward to this summer.

I'll never forget that dreadful feeling the day after I finished my A-levels last year. After waiting for so long to just "do nothing", I don't think I've ever had a more boring day in my life. This year, thankfully, there was no repeat as I spent a couple of days with uni mates before everyone left for the summer. I think I spent more time with nearby flatmates in the last week than I did with them since freshers', which was really good. I also sent off my postal vote last week and, despite barely following the EU referendum to the detail it probably warrants, I'm looking forward to seeing the result.

Over the last weekend I was in Manchester going through training for my role as Senior Mentor on NCS with The Challenge this summer - in fact, I'm starting today! To put it simply, I'm leading round a group of 15-17 year-olds and helping their development into more well-rounded people. I can't wait to start and am buzzing for it. Even just meeting loads of cool new people at the training weekend has got me excited, no matter how boring the training was (well, we'll single Saturday afternoon out for that). The energy that these people bring to groups is amazing and I'm hoping I can do the same for my group when it all starts.

I've finally realised, almost one year on, that I just can't blog every day. I'm not sure whether or not it does the view count any good - do people want to read something every day or something more fulfilling every week or so? I'm backing the latter at the moment, and hopefully the blogs will be better as a result :)

To finish, I've got to vent a bit of my frustration from watching England at the Euros. Statistically we've been dominant but it baffles me how Roy Hodgson sticks with a 4-3-3 formation whilst using players that don't suit it. But I won't bore you with football talk.

Here's to a great few days in Yorkshire! I'll be singing Justin Timberlake's new song, "Can't Stop the Feeling", all the way there and back because it's an absolute TUNE.

Ollie
Twitter: @Chowerz
Instagram: @chowerz

No comments:

Post a Comment