Wednesday 10 August 2016

So. Much. Sport.

It's squeaky bum time. 10 minutes ago I was happily watching the Olympics. Then I realised I hadn't written my blog for the week. So I'm now sat here watching the Olympics with my laptop and am churning this out before I start to fall asleep reading a Lee Child book...

If I rewind to the back end of last week, two main things stand out for me that have happened since then - and I'm not sorry to say that it's pretty sport-based. Firstly, England started a fightback in the third test against Pakistan and come Sunday evening had wrapped up an excellent win. Thankfully I was able to watch them bowl Pakistan out due to my own cricket match being cancelled due to our opponents folding for the season.

The second big talking point of the week is, of course, the Olympics. The opening ceremony was at midnight on Friday for those of us in the UK, and I'm devastated to say I did not see a second of it due to commitments at a public house. I've been watching whatever event's on really, but have tuned into the tennis a few times. What's struck me at a lot of the events is the sparse crowd. I just try and picture whether the no.2 player in the world can rock up to a half-full Centre Court at Wimbledon and the organisers be happy with the outcome of their work. I'm 100% sure there's no way anyone would miss any part of the Olympics, as was seen four years ago in London. Nonetheless I'm enjoying the Games and hopefully Team GB can win more in the next couple of weeks!

I actually did play some sport myself over the last week. A bizarre tennis session last Friday included kids running onto our court to collect their mishit balls and their parents walking behind us mid-point. I did end up hitting one of the kids with one of my shots, but he just shook it off like any kid would (shows the strength of my groundstrokes really). On Saturday we travelled for an hour to play a cricket match that lasted only half the scheduled time due to a poor batting performance from our opponents. And on Monday I played my first ever round of golf, unexpectedly shooting a solid round of 59 shots over par - joking aside, I was pretty pleased. A quick assessment would suggest an absolutely lethal game within 150 yards of the pin, but very lacking from the tee.

Apart from all of that, I've been getting ready to go to Italy - we fly on Saturday morning. Hopefully I'll have some nice pictures come this time next week!

Ollie :)
Twitter: @Chowerz
Instagram: @chowerz

No comments:

Post a Comment